Sydney's laid-back outdoor lifestyle and physical allure make it one of the world's easiest and most pleasant cities to visit. The people who live here are a friendly, energetic bunch with a tell-it-like-it-is approach to life as visitors to the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games found out for themselves.
When it comes to which city is Australia's true global city, there's no argument. It's Sydney - with its sense of style, its love of sport and exuberant celebrations including New Year's Eve and Australia Day.
Soak up the city's gorgeous harbour, seductive outdoor lifestyle and great natural beauty. Kayak under the Sydney Harbour Bridge or wave at the Opera House as you ride a ferry across the harbour to Manly. Learn to surf at Bondi Beach or swim in the calm waters of Coogee. Lose yourself in the cobblestone cul-de-sacs of The Rocks or in the markets, boutiques, cafes and pubs of Paddington. As well as a world-famous harbour and more than 70 sparkling beaches, Sydney offers fabulous food, festivals and 24-7 fun. You'll soon agree there's no place in the world like Sydney.
Moreton Island ( Tangalooma )
- Catching the perfect wave at famous Bondi or Palm beaches.
- Dining waterside in the historic Rocks precinct, by the beach at Balmoral or on the wharf at Woolloomooloo Wharf.
- Climbing to the very top of Sydney Harbour Bridge's huge, over-arching span, by day or night with BridgeClimb.
- Seeing the native fruit bats and 30 hectares of themed gardens in the Royal Botanic Gardens on a guided Aboriginal heritage tour.
- Catching the ferry to Manly or a harbour cruise at sunset - or anytime - for one of Sydney's most popular experiences.
- Learning about Australia's unique animals, overlooking the harbour, at Taronga Zoo or at Sydney Wildlife World, Darling Harbour.
- Being inspired by a wonderful, magical performance at the Sydney Opera House or enthralled by one of the best Aboriginal art collections in the world at the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
- Taking a skippered yacht or an adrenalin-pumping jet boat from Darling Harbour.
Moreton Island is home to some of the most beautiful sandy white beaches, crystal clear oceans, freshwater lakes, colored sands, rugged cliffs and the world's largest sand hill. An untouched paradise, Moreton Island is the perfect destination for 4wd wilderness tours, Whale Watching, Fishing, Sand Tobogganing, Surfing, Snorkeling and Dolphin Feeding. For the more adventure driven, Skydiving or a Dolphin Wild cruise may be in order. Moreton Island is an ideal location for a holiday, weekend getaway or one-day tropical island adventure.
Frolic on the sand or in the world-class nightclubs of Surfers Paradise. Then trek the World Heritage-listed rainforest of the Gold Coast hinterland, where you can swim in crystal-clear rock pools, explore rainforest retreats like Mount Tamborine and see Australia's largest glow-worm colony. Of course, you can't miss the Gold Coast's famous themed attractions. See dolphin and sea lion shows at Sea World, ride the world's tallest and fastest thrill rides at Dreamworld or jump in a giant wavepool at Wet 'n' Wild Water Park.